Feb 26, 2013

Someone said, "I really like Charleston Lake." And, I asked, "Why?"

Sometimes, (or should I say, oftentimes), we paddlers sit around at BBQ's or in pubs to chat about places we'd like to paddle, or to plan a trip. We bounce around ideas and swirl the ice cubes in our glass. 

There are so many places to paddle. Some good, some bad, some extraordinary, and then there are kayaking destinations that are beyond belief!

You can get lost just wondering where to go. It's a fun way to get lost! And a great way to empty your wallet if you get carried away and travel far-and-wide.

At one such BBQ, sitting on a deck, overlooking a river with warm summer breezes blowing, someone said, "I really like Charleston Lake." 

I asked, "Why?"

The answer motivated me and a few other kayakers to go experience it too, as we'd never been to Charleston Lake before. So, I've written a couple of posts to share with you what I like about it. 

Charleston Lake is located in southeastern Ontario, Canada, just 30 kilometres north east of Gananoque and the 1000 Islands. It's a good-sized lake at 9 miles long, and 4 miles wide at the widest part, with over 100 islands and 100 miles of diverse shoreline, hidden coves, large and small bays, rocky cliffs, a beautiful provincial park for camping and hiking, a couple of sandy beaches for sunning and swimming, an abundance of fauna and flora, and public boat launches with free parking at the north and sound ends of the lake.

Paddlers tend to like it. So do I.
For more details, my next story is up on The Great Waterway, a cool Ontario Tourism website, where I'm a regular blogger if you'd like to check it out:


Coming Soon

A great paddle and hike to Blue Mountain, Charleston Lake, Ontario

Happy paddle trails!
The BaffinPaddler
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...