Jan 2, 2013

Kayak Mancala

This is what I call it anyway: Kayak Mancala. What is Kayak Mancala?

It's simple! Kayak to an island or beach of your choice, and make yourself an awesome Mancala game out of what you find on the beach.

Don't know the Mancala game? 

I didn't either a few years ago. Then, my Mom gave me a store-bought board game one Christmas. Thanks Mom! The game board is made of wood, and comes with 48 glass stones.

I love playing Mancala outdoors, usually in the summer, with my store-bought game or by making my own Mancala game on a beach. You can find a beach somewhere year round.

I spend a lot of time on beaches with my kayak looking at rocks and pebbles.
One day, sitting around on a beach, I said, "OK, it's time to do something with these pebbles besides just sit here and look at them."

I grabbed a big stick and started drawing my own Mancala game board in the sand. 

My paddle partner asked, "What are you doing now!?"

Me: "Gather 48 pebbles and I'll show you!"

Paddle partner: "Do I really have to do this?"

Me: . . . silent, still drawing in the sand.

Paddle partner: . . . busy gathering granite pebbles.
 
The outcome

I built the game in the sand, taught the paddle partner how to play Mancala, and . . . the paddle partner beat me each game. Seems winning is fun.

Me: "Do we have to play this again?!"

Paddle partner: "Come on, one more game!"

If you want to know how to play Beach Mancala and make your own game, my next story is up on The Great Waterway, a cool Ontario Tourism website, where I'm a regular blogger.

 How to play Beach Mancala, by Peggy Varner, The BaffinPaddler

You don't need a kayak to play Beach Mancala. But to play Kayak Mancala, you do!

Enjoy the great, ancient game of Mancala anywhere, anytime, especially at the beach. I hope you're spending some time at a beach or two this winter! Especially if you live in a northern clime. Winter is so long and cold in the North!
Happy New Year. May this new year be one of your best!
The BaffinPaddler
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...