Feb 22, 2012

The Articles of Faith Helpsheet Chant/Ditty/Song

It's so important that our kids know the Articles of Faith. They are essentially our beliefs in a nutshell. If you get a chance, read this SHARING TIME from lds.org on the Articles of Faith. It's so awesome. It tells how they came to be and why they are important. In this particular article, President Monson tells a powerful and inspiring story about a young girl who taught our beliefs to an inquiring adult by reciting the A of F's, resulting in his and his entire family's conversion and baptism! All because a little girl knew her Articles of Faith well enough to be able to share them. Pretty awesome, right?

So anyway, I have been asked by some friends if I'd share my little Articles of Faith Chant/Ditty/Song (whatever you want to call it). My family and I came up with this a few years ago during Family Home Evening to help us remember what each Article of Faith is about. It's worked like a charm (even for me). I love to quiz my kids on it. They can tell me on the spot what each is about now. We also used it for a couple years in my previous ward's primary. And let me tell ya, those kids know their A of F's!
To use image: Right-click on it and "save picture as..." name it and save it somewhere you'll remember.
Open a word document and insert image. Re-size to fit your page. Print.
*If you'd like a better quality copy, leave a comment with your email and I'd be happy to send the pdf.
 
I'm thinking about making a YouTube video so you can hear how it goes. Not sure if it's really needed or not. Let me know what you think.

The best I can tell you without a video, is to add a small pause when you see the . . . 's.
Most of these ditty's are said in 4 counts. In fact, #'s 1,2,3,4,7,8,9, and 13 are said in 4 counts and are pretty simple. Numbers 5,6, 10, 11, and 12 are said in 8 counts. On number 6 (it's kind of tricky), you say "Six, Six" in 2 counts, "is no surprise" in 2 counts, and then you have to jump the gun on "tells" (like a grace note), and say "how our church" in 1 count ("how" being on the downbeat), "was and is" in 1 count ("was" on the downbeat), and "or-ga-nized" in 2 counts (evenly spacing the 3 segments of the word in 2 counts...kind of like a triplet, only said in two counts instead of 1). If you snap your finger as you say it, it's much easier.

See also- General Conference Activities. In my post, find the "Saturday night Priesthood Session Activities" segment, idea #11. It talks about how we've turned our learning the Articles of Faith into a game show.

Teaching/learning the gospel can be so much fun! Teach/learn with a vengeance!


Enjoy!

I'm linking up @ Blue Cricket Design, Lil' Luna, Mo momma, Crafty Confessions, Southern Lovely, I'm Topsy Turvy, and Gluesticks.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...